1/08/2013

Idiosyncratic

Something I've recently been trying to do more of is the accepting the, as my friend calls them, "idiosyncrasies" of others ...in other words, their flaws. I don't know which is more the case: that I extrapolate too much from the actions of others or that the vast majority of us are just deeply flawed people. 

Of course, many people may not offend with malicious intent. Ultimately, outside of what I'll consider a small minority of people who derive pleasure from hurting others, I'd say these idiosyncrasies are more likely instinctual reactions developed from various moments in their upbringing, i.e. they are defensive mechanisms. Still, there's no doubt that, in the wrong context, these actions can be deleterious and can erode away our relations with others. 

I wonder what my own idiosyncrasies are. I wonder if I offend people regularly because of them. Hopefully, one day, I'll be able to shed all that garbage.

No comments: